It's time to admit it. Summer is coming to an end. I know this because the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice lattes are back (which are tragically not vegan - order a soy Cinnamon Dolce latte instead, you'll still feel the cinnamony love). Before things get too chilly, make the most of the last summer tomatoes and try this awesome salad recipe out! I whipped it up in a hurry to bring to my darling friend Kerri's BBQ and it was a HIT!
If you love quinoa, you will REALLY love it's scarlet sister, Ms. Red Quinoa. It still has the bran on it (kinda like the difference between white and brown rice) and is chewier in texture and even nuttier in flavor. I love it and I know you will too!
Red Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Cherry Tomatoes and Herbs
- 2 cups cooked red quinoa, cooled to room temp (white would be just dandy too)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 pint red cherry tomatoes (about 2 cups, if you're getting them from the garden and not the grocery store)
- 1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes
- 10 to 12 handfuls of organic baby greens
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped mint
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped basil
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
for the vinaigrette:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar. Screw on the lid. SHAKE IT BABY! Taste and season with S&P. Wasn't that easy?