Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sesame Soba Noodles

HOLY TOLEDO IT'S COLD OUT THERE!

I know, I know.  I'm a Winnipegger and it's mid-January and it's -45.  Way to state the obvious, V.V.!

I'm just about to run off to school so I thought I'd leave ya a little recipe for something that you can take along for lunch.  If you've never tried soba noodles you MUST!  They are made from buckwheat flour and contain antioxidants as well as all eight essential amino acids.  They are high in iron, protein and fibre too!  AND they are cheap and filling so they make a great pantry staple for those days when you're broke and hungry!

The noodles are traditionally served either cold with a sauce or hot in a broth.  The version I'm sharing with you can be served hot or cold.  You can eat soba noodles any way your little heart desires: today I'm taking some for my lunch with grated zucchini, garlic and ginger, yum!



Sesame Soba Noodles 
Ingredients:
-2 oz soba noodles
-1 tbsp tahini
-1 tbsp shoyu (Japanese soy sauce)
-1 small garlic clove, minced
-chili flakes (to your taste, rebel)
-1 tsp rice vinegar
-2 tsp water
-any veggie toppings you like (I used roasted sweet potato and bok choi here, you could use ANYTHING YOU WANT!  Sky's the limit!  Grated carrot, broccoli, green onion, tofu, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc)

Bring a small pot of water to a boil.  Add the soba noodles, reduce the heat to simmer and cook until the noodles are tender (about 6-8 minutes).  Drain the noodles in a colander and rinse them under cold water.

In your chosen take-away tupperware container, combine the tahini, shoyu, garlic, chili flakes (yow!), vinegar and water.  You may have to add more water if the sauce is too thick, tahini has a tendency to seize up.  Add your noodles to the sauce and toss 'em.  Top with your veg of choice, seal that lid and you are on your way!

XOXO
V.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment