Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Not A Morning Person

Hello Dumplings!


First and foremost, I just want to say thank-you SO MUCH for all the comments from you (on my blog and facebook too)!  One never knows what to expect when they begin a blog.  Will it bring people together, or disappear into the abyss of the world wide web?  I can't tell you how COOL it is to know that you are reading my little blog and enjoying it!!!    GREAT BIG CYBER HUGS TO YOU ALL!!! 


Anyhoo....Let's get to the FOOD and STUFFING OF THE FACE!


If I could, I would sleep in every day until ten.   Alas, the nine-to-five work day/school day doth not provide such privileges.  I really don't enjoy eating first thing in the morning (I don't think I'm alone here) but unfortunately, breakfast is the most important meal of the day (I wish dinner was.  I'm for sure not alone on this one).  Homemade granola beats storebought by a longshot and makes even the haterest of breakfast hater's into breakfast lova's.  I like it with almond milk :)

P.S. Just to be clear, I love brunch!  Eating breakfast at 11:30 a.m. WITH cocktails?  Heck YESSS!!  I will be sure to post some brunch recipes for you soon :)      

        
V.V.'s Fave Granola
Ingredients
4 cups oats
1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, flax, whatev combo you like)
1/2 cup chopped dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, apricots, currants, blueberries, figs, dates, apples, pears, so many choooiiiiicceeesss!!!)
1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 vegan sugar
1/3 cup safflower oil
2 tbsp maple syrup or brown rice syrup (honey is ok in a pinch in my books, though it's not technically vegan)
2 tsp good vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon

On a rimmed cookie sheet, toast the oats in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 10 - 15 minutes or until very lightly toasted.  In a big ol' bowl, combine the oats, coconut, seeds, dried fruit, and nuts if you're using them.  Combine the oil, syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and mix into the oat mixture really, really well until everything is coated.  Spread the mixture in an even layer on a large rimmed cookie sheet and bake for another ten minutes or until dry and toasty, making sure to stir it around half way through baking.   Cool in da pan, store in a big jar or resealable container!

Until next time,
XOXO V.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment